- Picric acid 2,4,6-trinitrophenol
- engl.: picric acid 2,4,6-trinitrophenol
- Picric acid is a yellow, crystalline compound with a bitter taste that is explosive when dry. That is why it is traded as a laboratory chemical mixed with approx. 35% water.
- It is soluble in boiling water, ethanol and benzene.
- Picric acid is a strong acid ( = 0,37).
- Picric acid is used in the analysis of organic compounds to identify anions and aromatic hydrocarbons.
- Picric acid is used as an explosive and is 10-15% more powerful than 2,4,6-trinitrotoluene, TNT.